Pwll Du (or Pwll-du, Black Pool) was an industrial village from the 1820's until demolished in the 1960's. It had two rows of terraces, one of 14 houses and one of 28, and two pubs, one doubling up as the company shop. All that remains is the Lamb & Fox Inn (formerly the Lamb), and the Village Hall, now the Outdoor Pursuits Centre; both are open for business and the Lamb And Fox has some photos of the old village in the bar. It is in the "Cordell Country" between the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal, Blorenge hill, and Blaenafon. Blaenafon has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000, largely based on its associations with the industrial history of the area. Alexande Cordell wrote several novels located in this area relating stories of the families living and working in the iron foundries which were here because of the association of limestone, ironstone and coal. A tunnel linked Pwll Du to Blaenavon; while sealed for many years, there is now a project to reopen it.
But this group is not concerned with industrial archaeology: unknown until 1994, one of the most significant caves in Britain passes under the area and carries water as far south as Pontypool. It is Ogof Draenen.
Pwll Du Cave Management Group
The Morgannwg Caving Club broke through into the main cave passage on 6 October 1994 and soon decided to control access. In July 1996 a Pwll Ddu Cave Management Group was proposed with a constitution based on that of the Mynydd Llangatock CMAG. Biannual (November and June) meetings have been held ever since, with the biennial June meetings reelecting officers. Initial vagueness over land ownership was resolved but became a problem as legal points were raised. A land sale was then undertaken when a local consortium took over from the Coal Authority, and an access licence was agreed.